Wednesday, July 24, 2019

High-Leverage Practice 15: Instruction


I am going to discuss High-Leverage Practices as mentioned on the CEC website organized around four aspects of practice. I hope you will join in the conversation!

HLP15 Provide scaffolded supports.

I know that when I am learning something new, it is easier if I break it down in chunks or I might use some kind of aid that I know later I won’t need. The same works for my students. I can use some supports that eventually they won’t need as they get more experience and feel more confident with what they are doing.

Here are some examples of scaffolding supports.

1.     Start with easy steps and work up to more complex steps.
2.     Written promps or cues such as mnemonic devices.
3.     Fishbowl activity – Have a small group model for the larger group.
4.     Teacher modeling – think aloud as you model what you want the students to do.
5.     Build on prior knowledge.
6.     Think – pair – share.
7.     Introduce new words
a.     Use photos
b.     Use them in context with things they know and are interested in.
c.     Use analogies and metaphors
d.     Have students create a symbol or drawing for each word.
e.     Give time for small-group and whole-class discussion of the words
8.     Visual aids such as graphic organizers, number lines, charts
9.     Give “thinking time”

What other suggestions do you have for scaffolded supports? Please share.

Photo by Samuel Zeller on Unsplash



No comments: