Thursday, April 6, 2017

Attitude or Technique

In What's Most Valuable Attitude or Technique? From  @DavidGeurin Blog , David Geurin talks about how a Sports Illustrated Kids reporter asked SC coach Frnak Martin,

“When you coach or teach your team defense, what’s more important, technique or attitude?” 

Then he asks,

“ How can we generate more focus on Effort, Attitude, and Team in our school cultures? What is your school doing to promote these qualities?”

Years ago, I used to coach a cheerleading squad for 6 years. When I held tryouts I didn’t look at appearance so much as I looked at attitude. I remember that I had one overweight girl, who I will call Jane,  who had tons of school spirit and I would rather have a whole squad of girls like her instead of 12 girls who were slender and bratty. My squad was not happy when I chose Jane to be on the squad but over time, she won the hearts of everyone. She pulled the squad together and when they were typical teenage girls at each other’s throats, her humor eased the tense situations. She ended up being the squad captain and made our whole squad look amazing. Years later, she lost weight and actually won several beauty contest titles. I like to think that her confidence and attitude on the squad made a difference in her life.

I try to tell my students that their attitude is what is going to help them succeed in life. How they face the challenges and obstacles in the way of their goals will determine what kind of life they will have. If they always act miserable and treat others miserably, then their life will feel miserable and keep them from achieving their goals. Yet, if they have the attitude of determination and perseverance, it is more likely that they will do what they set out to do. Usually other people are more willing to help those with good attitudes and shy away from people with bad attitudes.

I love to hear stories where school communities pull together to make their school great. I worked at one school where the community would come in several times a semester to work on beautifying the school grounds. Later in the day, the school would host a cookout as a way of thanking the community. There seemed to be less vandalism and litter around our school because the community worked hard to make it look good and would not tolerate any bad behavior. This pride was instilled in our students which helped them have the right attitude towards our school.

I love to hear stories of student groups within the school who decide to help their peers with disabilities be part of the general education community as much as possible. When students go out of their way to see life from someone else’s shoes and give each other a hand up, this attitude of generosity seems to spread more easily.

How does your school promote good atttitudes? Please share.
  

No comments: