Wednesday, November 18, 2015

The Kingdom Beneath the Well – Book Review

I recently read The Kingdom Beneath the Well by M. D. Couturier. ( He sent me the book for review and I’m not being paid for this.) The Kindle version is $3.99 and the paperback is $7.99 and has 242 pages.

I have to say this was an amazing book! Once I started reading the story, it was hard to put it down. It made me think that the Wizard of Oz meets Alice in Wonderland meets Percy the Lightning Thief. The story is about a young girl who runs away from home and falls into a well, which comes out into a strange new kingdom. She is asked to go on a quest to save the kingdom and has many new adventures, which are dangerous and exciting.

It would be great for elementary to middle school students but as an adult, even I enjoyed it so high school students may find it enjoyable also. I also think boys and girls would enjoy the story and could relate to some of the feelings that the main character has.

Parents may enjoy having this book on the child’s reading shelf and enjoy reading it together with their child each night.

Teachers will like this book for the rich vocabulary that is used. With all the possibilities for vocabulary lessons and other reading skills such as main idea and inference, I could see this book used as a classroom novel. Students would also enjoy this story being read aloud to them if they have lower reading skills and could draw pictures to show their understanding. There are a lot of lessons that a student could learn throughout the book and it would be fun to find the lessons and have a class discussion about them.

I would recommend this book to parents, teachers, and librarians. This book would be a delightful addition to any bookshelf.

No comments: