Tuesday, November 24, 2015

First World Problems

In Thanksgiving THINKING: "Got a real problem?" from Librarydoor, Paige Jaeger shares a lesson plan and says,

Here's an Inquiry-based lesson to challenge students to overcome struggles or over-look slight "first world problems."  My former library aide used to tell students, "You need to get a real problem." Kids would laugh and get it. Sometimes we just have to call a spade a spade.”

Sometimes I think my problems are the worst thing in the world because they affect me. I guess I get selfish and feel like the world revolves around me and if I have a problem, my life takes priority to everything else. I feel ashamed when I look around at other people and think about some of the problems they face. I’m one of the lucky ones. I have a home, shelter, money to pay bills, and a loving husband. What more do I need?

This reminds me of a quote:

"I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man with no feet." -- Ancient Proverb

I need to remember that my problems are all First World Problems and that many people are facing things that affect their lives in a much more serious way. Many people fear for their lives. Many are trying to survive day to day with lack of food or water. Many people have serious illnesses and aren’t sure how much longer they will live.

As Thanksgiving Day approaches, I need to remember to be thankful for all the things that I’m blessed with. I need to stop complaining about things that really don’t matter. I need to start being more positive and helping to lift others up.

What problems do you have? Are they First World Problems? If not, what can I do to help lift you up? Please share.

No comments: