Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Day 6 Being Better

box On the Free Technology for Teachers Facebook, the twenty day blogging challenge created by Kelly Hines was mentioned and I decided to give it a shot. So here is the challenge for today:

“What is ONE thing you wish you were better at? Just one! Why? What could you do about it?”

I wish I was more creative and could think outside the box. When I was growing up and in school, I was taught that there was one way to do things, the right way. My teachers wanted things done their way which in their minds were the only way. I wasn’t encouraged to find my own way that works best for me. It was important that everyone conforms to the same way. Even when my mother tried to teach me to knit, she wanted me to hold the yarn and needles exactly like her. For some reason, I think I have a mental block with thinking of different ways of doing things.

Now that I’m older, I’m trying to be more open minded and looking for alternate ways of doing things. I’m trying to remember that others might know of other ways that may even be better than I know. I think the more I try to look at different ways, the easier it is getting for me. I still struggle and may be a lifetime challenge but I’m trying to get better at it.

In my classes, I like to throw out a problem and seeing ways that my students would solve the problem. It amazes me every time at how easily they solve the problem and that the solution is so easy and simple yet I didn’t see it. Sometimes I feel foolish but my students love that not only were they able to help me but that I was so willing to listen to their input.

What is something you wish you could better? Please share.

Image: 'Snow White - Now you can't see+me.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48447300@N02/10066127874
Found on flickrcc.net

No comments: