Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Things I Thought I’d Never Do

shovelIn Kaylie: Top Five Things I NEVER Thought I’d do as a Special Ed Teacher from Reality 101: CEC's blog for new teachers, Kaylie says,

“For all current teachers, please share what makes your lists of ‘Things I NEVER Thought I Would DO as a Special Ed Teacher’.”

As I began to think that I didn’t have anything to list, some things did pop into my head. Here are things from my list.

I never thought I would:

1. Dig 30 holes by hand with my students (3’ in diameter and 3’ deep) so the trees we ordered could be planted. I ended up in holes that I couldn’t get out of and students had to pull me out. The trees were so big, that a crane actually lifted them off the truck and placed them in the holes.

2. Start a worm compost system in my classroom.

3. Learn how to mat and frame pictures in order to teach my student a skill he wanted to learn.

4. Have a student go into labor in my classroom.

5. Take my class on a 8 mile hike with me to a waterfall at the state park.

6. Cry when a student gave me a dozen long stem red roses at graduation as his way of thanking em for teaching him to read(his parents say this was his own idea and bought with his own money).

7. Double date for the prom with my students.

8. Call 911 on one of my students who had perfect attendance in my class when I found out he was wanted by the police. It was a sad day for me. Later, when talking with him, I explained that I had to do the right thing and wouldn’t cover for my students.

9. Attend wedding showers, weddings, and baby showers for my former students.

10. Keep in touch with many of my students 20 years later.

What are some things you never thought you would do as a teacher? Please share!

Image: 'Rake & shovel'
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28481088@N00/1932087056
Found on flickrcc.net

No comments: