Monday, December 24, 2012

The End of the World

DoomsdayWell, Friday was supposed to be the end of the world. But if you are reading this, we are still here. I’m still overweight and needing to exercise. I’m still here to enjoy life and live it to the fullest. I’m still here to learn how to do new things and make new friends. I’m still here to nurture the friendships that I already have. I’m still here to love my family and feel their love in return. I’m still here and I’m glad.

My mother always believed that the end of the world happened when we die. That is the end. No one can predict the end of the world or when it will happen to anyone. She always told me to quit worrying about what will happen and enjoy what is happening now. She always said I worried too much. I trust my mother and believe her. She is not in this world any more but I feel she is in heaven right now nodding her head and glad that I believe and understand her.

For this reason, I feel that I have to live my life the best that I can. I can’t worry about what if. I can plan for the future which is different than worrying about it. I can be proactive rather than reactive. I can take necessary steps in case we lose power for a month or for some disaster that might happen, but I won’t let it take control of my life.

I look at some of the doomsday preppers and I feel like they are missing out on the joy of life. They are living in fear and that is sad to me. They seem to spend every minute thinking about the terrible thing that might happen. I think it is good to prepare for a problem but not become so obsessed with it that you can’t enjoy the simple things that exist now. If something happens and I won’t have all the good things that I have now, then I’m going to enjoy them while I have them!

I also feel this is where balance comes into my life. I love my electronics (laptop, cell phone, iPad) but I also love knitting (which uses no electricity and goodness knows, I have enough yarn in my stash to knit for a few years without running out of yarn! ) and reading books (the real ones). We love camping in our tent so I’m set for a shelter. We are thinking of taking up archery as a new hobby which if we ever get good enough, we could hunt for food. But right now I want to learn archery for fun. If the fun helps for survival later on, that is an added bonus.

How do you feel about doomsday prepping? Do you do some preparations? If so, what do you do? Please share.

Image: 'Time'
http://www.flickr.com/photos/11121568@N06/2661425133
Found on flickrcc.net

1 comment:

Nancy McCarroll said...

A doomsdayer I am not, but I do keep prepared. The hub has lots of food and fuel stored in case the power goes. Ya never know....