Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Am I Safe?

Siberian/Amur Tiger - Panthera tigris altaicaAfter what happened in Connecticut last week, I hear myself wondering, “Am I Safe?” Then my other thought is to what I can do to make myself safer.

Last week we were at Disney World and my husband thought that if someone wanted to hurt a group of people this would be a place for it.

We made sure that we picked a spot to meet up in case we got separated (my husband refuses to have a cell phone). We usually do this when we go to busy places.

I notice that I look into people’s faces more. When we stood in long lines, I would talk to the people in front of us and behind us.

I try to smile at people that we pass.

I’m not sure I make a difference, but I think that these are little things that I can do. I try to let others know they matter.

When we go into the stores, I try to make eye contact with others. I try to be polite and apologize if I bump into someone.

It is by doing the little things that help me feel a little safer. I’m not going to rely on others to make me feel safe. I’m going to be proactive and think about what I can do for myself. Maybe I’m deceiving myself in this way but I feel better by doing something.

I know that I’m not going to let acts of violence keep me from interacting with others. The fear is not going to keep me from reaching out to others. This anger is not going to cause me to lash out and blame others.

I’m going to interact more. I’m going to reach out more!

What kinds of things do you do to make yourself feel safer? Please share.

Image: 'Siberian/Amur Tiger - Panthera tigris altaica'
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30898814@N03/5698782655
Found on flickrcc.net

No comments: