Monday, May 18, 2009

Summer Refreshment

Now that summer is approaching, it brings back memories of summers where I was so overwhelmed with my free time that I didn’t know which way to go. I thought I would give some suggestions for some people who are trying to think of some options. Maybe I will mention something that you haven’t thought of before.

Take a course for recertification. I always found it easier to take a course in the summer than during the school year when I was teaching. Just for a little self promotion – I will be teaching two courses at Furman University this summer: Edex622 Nature of Learning Disabilities and Edex 962 Learning Disabilities Practicum. If you need either of these courses, I would love to have you in my class.

Learn something new. You can check out the hobby stores to learn a new craft or you can go to a home improvement store to learn how to do something on your house. Maybe you could find a language course to take.

Visit or call the people in your life that has had to take a back seat to teaching. I know that I have let some friends fall to the wayside during the school year because I haven’t had enough time for them. I try to schedule a lunch with them at least one time during the summer. Good friends are hard to find and I can’t afford to lose any of the ones that I have.

Get out in nature. Find a local state or national park near you and explore it. It is amazing how much that nature can do to rejuvenate you. I find being outdoors and enjoying nature helps me put my life in perspective.

Come up with a list of things you want to do at home while you have time this summer. Then prioritize it and don’t try to do all the things at one time. Splice in some fun after you accomplish each thing. You will find that you won’t be as overwhelmed and maybe even surprised at how much you can actually get done.

Plan a get together with some school friends. During the school year, I never really had time to socialize with my friends that I worked with. Sometimes it is good to get outside the work place and get to know them better.

Do something for an elderly person. I know that I have an elderly neighbor who is over 90 years old and lives alone. During the summer I like to check with her to see if she needs light bulbs changed, or things moved. She hates to ask for help so I enjoy offering to help her. Some of the things seem minor but I know they are big things for her and she appreciates it.

Do you have any other suggestions that you can add? I’d love to hear them.

Original image: 'Lake St. Peter HDR [2]' http://www.flickr.com/photos/37153080@N00/111717653 by: Rick Harris

No comments: