Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Day 14 Current Events

newspaper On the Free Technology for Teachers Facebook, the twenty day blogging challenge created by Kelly Hines was mentioned and I decided to give it a shot. So here is the challenge for today:

“Share a topic/idea from class this week. What’s one thing you did with students this week that you will (or will not) do again? Why?”

I think it is important to discuss current events in class. I remember in high school that my teacher used to test us on fact and information from the newspaper. It was really hard for me because my family did not buy the local newspaper and when I got to school, I never had enough time to read the previous day’s paper, much less learn all that was in it. I really stunk at current events.

Now I realize that it isn’t so much as knowing all the facts and information but rather putting it in context. I want my students to know some of the highlights in the news and during our discussion, we can learn where the location is on the map, who are the main characters in the story, what the main points of the story are, and what are the effects on others that this may have. This is more meaningful to me than just regurgitating facts and figures in the news. Actually it helps me remember things better when I can put them in some kind of context.

Since current events changes daily, there is an endless supply of information. This can be a short lesson or can be longer depending on how much time I have. I usually try to keep this to 10 minutes because it is short enough to keep them interested but long enough to get the information out. If they have questions or are interested, I can extend the time but I don’t force the issue.

What is a topic that is successful in your class? Please share.

Image: 'Just How Bad Off is the San+Francisco+Chronicle?'
http://www.flickr.com/photos/49502995517@N01/187465586
Found on flickrcc.net

No comments: