Monday, July 23, 2012

Teaching A - Z (part 1)

believingIn Planning to teach from A to Z, Vicki Davis shares,

“As you plan to create a place of teaching and learning, think through these aspects of your classroom. I've shared some important points of teaching and a tip for each as well as books that I love that help me in each area. Feel free to add your favorite letter in the comments or on your own blog!”


First of all, let me tell you that Vicki Davis is one of my favorite bloggers who really inspires me. I subscribe to her blog and the many things she blogs about really get me thinking or energizes me to do more. This post of hers definitely inspired me to do more. Of course, I am so wordy that I decided to break this up into 4 posts about tips for new and struggling teachers.

A is for Action

Don’t be afraid to try something new. Actions move you forward. Inaction means you are stagnant. In order to move forward, you need to take action. That action can be good or bad but then you can make decisions about your actions.

B is for Believing

You have to believe in yourself. Confidence shows. If you believe in yourself and what you are doing, then others will do so also. Your students need to believe in you too. When they are trying something new or scary, they need to believe that you will be there for them.

C is for Connections

Connecting with other educators will help keep you sharp. Connecting with others (online or in real life) help you bounce off new ideas, get opinions, get help when needed, or learn new techniques and strategies in the classroom.

D is for Decisions

You will have to make decisions and sometimes there is no way that your decision will make everyone happy. You need to make the best decision that will positively affect the most people. You can’t base your decisions on whether or not people will like you.

E is for Energy

Teaching takes energy. It will also suck out your energy quickly so you need to make sure you know how to keep up your energy level. It is important for you to stay healthy so I highly recommend taking a multivitamin and a regular exercise program.

F is for Flexibility

I am a big planner but my plan is not written in stone. It is a tentative plan so that I have direction. But when teaching children, many times the plan has to be adjusted. Knowing this will help you be more flexible with what is going on around you. You can’t stress out every time your plan needs to be adjusted. Be aware that it will happen and deal with it. You can still be unhappy that it needs to be adjusted but don’t let your unhappiness become the main focus.

I think these tips could help make your teaching experience more enjoyable. If you are a veteran teacher, what words would you come up with for these letters? Please share.

Image: 'Believing, Building, Becoming'
http://www.flickr.com/photos/76187282@N00/4046518530

1 comment:

Sioux Roslawski said...

I like those. I might add another "C" for "can." Teachers need to instill in their students the belief that their kids CAN do whatever task is put in front of them.

Also "faith" for "F" because it's crucial that teachers have faith in their students. Kids can sniff out anything that's not genuine. If we have faith in their abilities, their character, that faith will become contagious. The students will have faith in their teacher and themselves.

Great post, Pat, as usual.