Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Classroom Set Up

Schools in our area are back in session. I’ve had several teachers contact me to ask about the best way to set up their classrooms.

First, I think it really depends on the teacher, their teaching style, and what works for them. This means that at first, you need to try a certain layout but if it isn’t working for you after a couple of weeks, don’t be afraid to change it. But make sure you give it time before changing it because too many changes too often can disrupt the classroom and the students.

I like to make sure that I could see all of the areas of my room from wherever I may be teaching at the time. I never liked hidden cubbyholes. I would put a desk facing a wall if the student is easily distracted and make headphones available to block out the noise.

I always put my desk in one of the corners because I didn’t sit at it much. I also kept it out of the flow of traffic, so nothing gets “accidentally missing.”

Start with thinking about which side are the room are you going to talk to the group. Then decide if you want them in aisles with single desks or groups. I would suggest you only group in threes, so no one has their back to the “front’ when you are speaking.

I would also plan on a group table in the “back” either center or one of the corners. This keeps it from being distracting if the students are facing towards the front. This group table is great for parent or colleague meetings as well.

If there is room and depending on your number of students, I tried to have an area in the front of the room for “group meetings” where the students could sit on the floor or bring a chair. Getting a large area rug is also great for this area.

I liked to have stacking baskets for each subject area or class period where students would submit any work that needed to be turned in. I put these baskets at the front of the room so it would be easily accessible.

I always assigned seats in the beginning until I got to know the students. I learned their names faster this way and I learned who may be a distraction for other students.

How do you set up your classroom? Please share.

Photo by Jeffrey Hamilton on Unsplash



-->

No comments: