Thursday, January 28, 2016

Teaching Knitting

Knitting is the process of making fabric from a strand of yarn.

People knit as early as the 11th century and both men and women knit.

In many countries, children learn to knit at a young age.  I think it is a shame that we don’t do this with children in the United States. By learning to knit, children improve muscle coordination, reading skills, math skills, and self-concept. Every time I finish a project, I feel really proud of myself for my accomplishment.

There are many YouTube videos that can teach you how to knit. That is what I used to teach myself to knit.

I would start off with a simple project that they can finish easily and feel proud of when they are done.  A dishcloth might be a fun project that they could give as a gift.  There are many free patterns for dishcloths on the Internet.

I would start off with big needles and offer a variety of cotton yarns. I want the students to have as much choice as possible.

First I would teach them how to cast on stitches using a cable cast-on. Many people cast on for the beginner and then start teaching the stitches. I think it is important to learn how to cast on in case they make a mistake and need to start over when I’m not with them.

After they cast on the right number of stitches, I would teach the knit stitch.

Here is the standard rhyme that many people were taught when they learned how to knit.

In through the front door,
Run around the back.
Down through the window
And off jumps Jack!

Then they learn how to follow the pattern.

If a purl stitch or knit 2 together stitch is introduced, I would teach it when it is needed.

When the pattern is finished, I would teach how to cast off the stitches.

I think it is important for students to know that the more experience they get, the better their finished products will look.


Do you knit? Have you taught someone else to knit? What process did you follow? Please share.

2 comments:

hloy said...

I can't knit, but I did show my students how to finger knit using a YouTube video for this months craft day project. Check my Twitter stream for picture (or email me) and I'll send you them. One girl figured out how to weave her strands together (on her own) to make scarves and has a little side "business " going on now!

loonyhiker said...

@hloy That is awesome! I love when students take learning a step further. Thanks for sharing!