In Bad habits that drive co-workers crazy from Blue Skunk Blog, Doug Johnson shared an article about habits that bother co-workers. He then asks,
“And the bad habits that you, dear readers, find most annoying?”
I thought about the classroom and how many things classmates do annoys the others but we all have to work together in the same room for a length of time. Sometimes you don’t realize that you are doing things that bother others so this might be a great exercise to do at the beginning of the year before the actions drive you and others crazy. I could add my own examples to a poster and then give post-it notes to students for their ideas. Then I would display the poster to remind others what they should try not to do. By using the post-it notes, no one would feel argumentative with a specific person who posted it.
There needs to be ground rules though. For example:
· No specific names.
· No name-calling.
· No profanity.
Here are some things I would list:
· Pencil/toe tapping on the desk while I am teaching.
· Singing songs aloud while others are working quietly.
· Chewing food with your mouth open.
· Borrowing my stuff without asking for permission.
· Not returning things you borrow.
· Reading stuff on my desk that is none of your business.
· Calling people names.
What things in the classroom drive you crazy? Please share.