Monday, June 2, 2014

Leadership Traits Part 5

Goals In Welcoming New Leaders in Education from Actualization, Walter McKenzie talks about some leadership traits. He asks,

“How do these leadership traits resonate with you?”


Here is part 5 of 5 where I will share my thoughts of specific traits that he listed.

“Ecological – serving as good stewards of the environments in which they thrive
Voracious – hungry to engage, to learn, to lead, to make a difference
Trailblazing – clearing new pathways to personal and professional efficacy”


Ecological:
When I look at leaders, I like to see that they care about the natural environment as well as the work environment. I liked when they put motion sensor lights in classrooms that turn off the lights if they are left on and no one is in the room. I like for leaders to be watching out for taxpayer’s monies and making sure they are not being wasted on unnecessary or frivolous things.

Voracious:
I believe the desire to learn is extremely important. This desire means that I need to be open to new ideas, new strategies, and doing things differently. I need to be willing to learn in order to find a way to make a difference. If things stay status quo, I may not necessarily make a difference. Instead I’m just letting things continue the way they are. But by learning more, I might find a new and better way or I might find out that the way it is will be the best way. Either way, this learning will make a difference.

Trailblazing:
It takes courage and strength to be the first one out there. I can only imagine how Lewis and Clark felt as they embarked on their new adventure. It can be a scary time but someone needs to be the one to clear the way. Someone needs to be willing to take a risk and face possible failure. This person will pave the way for future success.


How do you feel about these traits? Do you agree or disagree? Please share.

Image: 'Transformational Leadership'
http://www.flickr.com/photos/49053756@N03/8052329146
Found on flickrcc.net

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We are interviewing for an assistant principal right now. These posts are helping me see what to look for in a possible candidate.

Thank you.