Thursday, June 20, 2013

Summer Solstice 2013

summerTomorrow begins the official summer season. It is also the summer solstice which is the longest day of sunlight we have in the northern hemisphere. In the past, I have had a friend who always celebrated the day with a party.

The weather has been kind of wacky this year. It seems like we went straight from winter into summer and skipped spring. We have also had a great abundance of rain which has about gotten rid of our drought status. With all this rain has brought an increase in mosquitos which love my hubby so he is miserable outdoors. I have not been able to do a lot of hiking because we don’t like to hike in the rain and I don’t want to slip and get hurt on the wet trails.

We have also bought a new camper and have been itching to go camping a lot. Unfortunately the weather has not been the best for camping. It isn’t bad if there are short showers which is usual here in the south during the summer but lengthy days of continuous rain is not fun. If I have to sit all day in the camper, I might as well stay at home.

The rain has been great for my lawn and my gardens though. My lawn has looked the best it ever has and my gardens (with lots of weeds) are flourishing.

The summer solstice is a good time to get out and be grateful for all that surrounds me. I’m thankful for the sun and the rain. The long day makes me appreciate all the waking hours that I have. It also makes me realize that the days will be getting shorter after that and I need to make sure I make the most of all the daylight!

Do you do anything to celebrate the summer solstice? If so, please share.

Image: 'Flight Of The Solstice Dawn'
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30674396@N00/25679815
Found on flickrcc.net

No comments: