Tuesday, December 11, 2018

C is for Creative

During this holiday season, I thought it would be fun to use the word Christmas and apply it to education.

Today’s letter is C and C stands for creative.

I love to make creative lessons about different topics. There are many lessons that can be found online about almost any topic. Some of these lesson plans are free and some are for a small fee. Yet, I know that any lesson plan that I use, I’m going to have to adapt it to my own students. All students are uniquely different, so it is impossible to write a lesson plan that will fit every single classroom. Sometimes I even take a couple of plans and mash them together to fit the needs of my students. This calls for creativity.

I like to make sure that all of my lessons include activities that fit the learning styles of all of my students. Some are visual learners, some are auditory learners, and some are tactile-kinesthetic learners.

After reading sample lesson plans, I know what will and won’t work for my students. If I want to keep the objective, I have to be creative in thinking of activities that will work for some of my students. Some of my students may have a texture sensitivity so I don’t want to require them to do something that they would have to touch.

I like to be creative and come up with a sort of menu for my students with a list of different activities. They can choose from the menu and I may require them to do a certain amount of activities off of the menu.

Some of the activities can be vague enough so that the students are challenged to be creative. This is a lot of fun and it is interesting to see what the students end up creating. Some of their creations are better than anything that I could come up with.

What would C stand for in your class? Please share.

Photo by Evelyn on Unsplash


No comments: