Tuesday, October 16, 2018

The Girl with the Red Balloon – Book Review

Recently I saw a book at the library called The Girl with the Red Balloon by Katherine Locke. I know if the title caught my interest or the picture in my mind of what the book might be about. All I know is I’m glad I decided to read it.

The main character is a high school teenager that goes to Berlin on a school trip and after grabbing a stray red balloon, she is transferred back in time. She appears at a time when East Berlin was separated by the wall. We follow her as she lives some of the stories that her grandfather told her about. It mixes some history with a fanciful story and I was enthralled.

I think this would be a great lesson intro to any historical time that is being taught. A great activity would be to have students imagine that they grabbed a red balloon and was transported back into time to whatever you are studying. What would it be like? How would you imagine you would get along without all the conveniences that you have today?

I would highly recommend this book for a high school library. Even adults would enjoy this book.

Have you read this book? What did you think?



No comments: