Thursday, October 25, 2018

Learning By Doing


“You can try to learn without doing.”

I like how the writer used the word “try” when he comments about learning without doing.

I know that when I hear people talk about how to do something I’ve never done before or I’m watching a video on how something is done, it really doesn’t sink in until I actually try it for myself. I think it is good to see how it is done first but I won’t really learn how to do it without doing it myself.

As teachers, sometimes it seems easier to do things for students ourselves as we tell them how they should do something, but we really aren’t helping them at all. The best thing would be to be patient and walk them through the procedure they need to follow so they can learn how to do it for themselves. Sometimes this might be frustrating because it seems easy for you to do and hard for them to do. Remember that one time you were a beginner too.

When teaching students something new, remember to not assume they know any of the steps. It is easier to start as if they don’t know than to assume, they do and skip something important. Once you realize that they can do that step, you can move on to the next step.

Don’t rush through something new. Once they learn how to do something, give them time to practice the new skill. Doing it once is not enough. They might be lucky enough to get it right the first time but can they do it again? Can they do it again without you walking them through every step?

It is good to actually write out the procedure you follow and show it as you teach it. Then students can follow each step as you talk about it. Then they can it again without you talking about it but they still can see the steps. Eventually, they won’t even need to see the steps.

How do you teach something new? Please share.

Photo by Bruno Nascimento on Unsplash



No comments: