Monday, October 29, 2018

Fighting Together


“We end up spending our time fighting each other instead of fighting for the things that really matter. We end up focusing on the current thing while something more important shrinks away in the background.”

As election time approaches, I see this fighting more and more on the political front. I feel like all this political fighting actually overshadows the real issues. People seem to be spending more energy fighting each other than actually trying to resolve the problems. There are lots of name calling and accusations but not a lot of actions.

I would rather see a candidate trying to resolve a problem and show me that he/she is actually doing something to try to help. Even if they don’t have the power they need at this point, they are still doing what they can. They are not just saying the words, but they are showing me they are willing to do whatever necessary to improve the situation. Just standing up and saying the words that people want to hear doesn’t say very much to me.

I like to look at candidate’s backgrounds and see what they have already done up to this point. The campaign brings their name to my attention, but I only spend a little time listening to what they are currently saying about how they feel towards future issues. But for issues that we have been dealing with for years, I want to see how committed they have been in the past to try to resolve them or is this just a new bandwagon they got on for the election.  

I hear a lot of candidates arguing about education, but I don’t see a lot of improvements being made. Usually, the candidate is so far removed from the classroom and only taking the advice of those giving the most money. I want to see a candidate who actually gets in some classrooms in order to get a real sense of what is going on in education. I want them to get in a cross section of classrooms which show different social and economic communities. I would love to see a candidate offer to teach a class for a whole day as a substitute teacher at least four times before they are elected. I’m not sure that will ever happen but if I wished for something, that is what I would wish for in an election dealing with education candidates.

Instead of spending so much time fighting each other, people in charge need to come together to find a solution to the problems. I’ve been to so many meetings where people argue about who is to blame rather than how to fix the problem. Stop blaming and start fixing! We need to fight the problems together and this strength may actually solve some problems. We are weak when we are apart but if we start fighting together, we can make something happen.

How do you think we can solve education problems? Please share.





No comments: