Tuesday, August 23, 2016

The Big Book of Nature Activities – Book Review

I recently received the book The Big Book of Nature Activities – A Year-Round Guide to Outdoor Learning by Drew Monkman and Jacob Rodenburg.  I am not being paid for this review. The paperback book is for sale on Amazon for $26.14 and the Kindle version for 24.83.
This book is broken into several sections including: basic skills for connecting to nature, key nature concepts for children to learn, Fall, Winter, Spring, Summer, and an Appendix. I really like how this book is organized so that you can flip to the appropriate season in order to find activities to do.
The activities are plentiful and varied. I also like that the activities can be any age person. They may be drawing something or may involve some kind of physical activity. Whichever you choose, something can be learned from any activity. The activities are clearly explained without being boring. I also like the colored photos in the middle of the book that show you about some of results of the activities.
From looking at the sections included, you might think this book is just for children but I think it for children of all ages. I can’t wait to try out some of the activities myself!
I would highly recommend this on every school library shelf and on every teacher’s shelf! I also think many parents would enjoy having a copy in their home library and have fun doing the many activities with their own children.

No comments: