Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Great Smoky Mountains Camping Trip

Click here are the pictures from our trip. 

2 weeks ago, we went camping in the Smokies.

We started out at Smokemont Campground (D38) for 4 nights and had a great time. Our friends Dan and Sherrie brought their grandsons camping for a few nights and we had a great time visiting with them. We hiked the Oconoluftee Trail, the Bradley Fork Trail to Chastain Creek Cascades, and the Kephart Prong Trail. The bathroom near our site had power so I could plug in my phone.

Next we went to Elkmont Campground for 3 nights and had an awful site (C05) which had a bad slant with a ravine next to it. I hope we never get that site again. The first night rained so hard for hours that many tent campers packed up around 10pm and left either for home or a hotel. We did hike on the Little River Trail which was beautiful. We thought our carpet by the door was wet from the rain but then thought it was a leak from our refrigerator so we turned off the refrigerator.

Last we went to Cades Cove Campground  (B17) for 4 nights. I didn’t like this site because our neighbors were really close and every morning I was afraid my lights and noise would wake them up. We spent a couple of days at the Townsend Y swimming. It was really nice there. The bathroom near our site had power so I could recharge my phone every morning. The air conditioner on the Tahoe died and we will have to get it checked out. The carpet was still wet and Don found out that our sink had a very bad leak when the faucet was turned out so we stopped using the faucet. The carpet is now getting dry and I have a pan under the faucet but as long as we don’t use it, it isn’t leaking.

Don worked hard every day trying to get 20,000 steps or more. I was happy with 10,000 steps but usually got around 15,000 every day.

We saw some wildflowers while hiking. For the first time I saw the Three Birds Orchid on the Bradley Fork Trail and the Little River Trail.


I’m glad we went camping and everything went well. We met a lot of nice people from all around the country! 

No comments: