Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Read the Small Print

I have a habit of not reading the small print and it messes me up some time.

In May we bought a $50 gift card for Panera Bread and got a $10 bonus card with it. We thought that was great. Then last week I went to use the bonus card and didn’t notice the small print at the bottom that it was only good for June. That means I lost the bonus card money!

We shop a lot at Publix and each week they put items on sale for buy one get one free. I get up to the cashier and I don’t get the sale price. When I insist it was on sale, they check and find out that the kind I picked up was excluded in the sale. It says so in the small print.

Sometimes I try to use coupons that I get in the mail or save from a sale paper but when I use it, they aren’t valid. In the small print, it gives a date it expires or it says a specific size I have to get.

I worry that sometimes I teach my students and unknown to them, there is small print that they need to know about. I sometimes think they should know what is expected but they really don’t.

I started going through my syllabus and looking for the “small print.” Then I go about making it bold print or underlining it or making the font bigger.

Small print items include due dates, penalties, and requirements. I also review these things at least once a month going over the upcoming due dates and reminding them of penalties and requirements.

I want my students to know upfront what I want from them. I don’t want any surprises down the road where they feel they didn’t know about something or feel like I’m setting a trap for them to fail.  I think this will help them be more successful.

What do you consider “small print” in your classroom? How do you help your students read the “small print?” Please share.


No comments: