Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Don’t Judge a Book by It’s Cover

bookOr a student or class either.

As our summer program began, I assigned some teachers to a class that may have been out of their comfort zone. After reading their blog posts, I learned how apprehensive some of them were.

Yet, they stiffened their shoulders and jumped right into their assignments. They didn’t whine and groan about how they didn’t want to be there. Instead they tried to make the best of a situation they weren’t thrilled about.

Over the past week, I have seen their students blossom and thrive. I have also seen the teachers blossom too. They have reached beyond what they thought they could do and really seem to be enjoying themselves. They have gotten past their anxieties and now actually feeling the thrill of it all.

These teachers were able to assess the student’s needs and developing goals for the students to work on during our program. With a direction in mind, the teachers are creating activities that meet each student’s needs. I love when I see the whole class engaged in an exciting lesson and especially love when the students come to show off their work.

How many times do I do this in my own life – professional and personal? I need to keep an open mind and be willing to try new challenges. I need to keep an open mind because without new challenges, I become stale and boring. With each new challenge I am also growing to be a better person.

Do you judge first or are you willing to face up to the challenge? Please share.

Image: 'The book'
http://www.flickr.com/photos/37576773@N08/3811537169
Found on flickrcc.net

No comments: