Tuesday, November 8, 2011

The Great Hamster Massacre - A Book Review

GREAT HAMSTER MASSACREI recently read the book The Great Hamster Massacre by Katie Davies and illustrated by Hannah Shaw which was mentioned on The Picnic Basket. This is the review that I gave the book (I am not being paid to give this review):

I thought this book would be a cute book for older elementary students and early middle school students. The title is definitely appealing to students and the illustrations and fonts in the book make this a fun book to read.

As for the story, it was an okay story but I’m afraid students may get bored with it before the story ends. I was disappointed by the ending because I felt it was a little flat. When I have my students write, I encourage them to have a conclusion and I felt this story lacked a conclusion. The title and parts of the story lead to the Great Hamster Massacre and then when it happens; it seemed kind of a letdown because it seemed to be mentioned in passing.

I would give this book a 3 out of 5.

Posted on the Successful Teaching Blog by loonyhiker (successfulteaching at gmail dot com).

1 comment:

addyson said...

This post so interesting and wonderful one to me.