Tuesday, September 18, 2007

My First Day of Teaching

I remember that I was going to change the world! I started out teaching in an elementary school and I was equipped with great new strategies and ideas fresh from college.

The first student I met was Jim, a 5th grader who had his leg amputated that summer because of bone cancer. His previous teacher promised him that she would be there when he returned to school. With a huge welcoming smile on my face, I watched him as he approached me, a little unsteady on his new prosthesis. Scowling, he asked me where the other teacher was and I announced happily that I was his new teacher. The next thing I know, he whips off the prosthesis and is hopping on one foot chasing me with this artificial leg trying to hit me! Of course I was running! Then it hit me...wait a minute...I'm the one in charge here and I need to do what I came here to do. This boy needs me!

That moment changed my life and was the inspiration for a long time career in teaching. I realized that I had the knowledge and the ability to make a difference in the lives of many young people and that is what my purpose in life was all about. I never regretted going into the teaching field and feel that I accomplished my goals throughout my career. Many former students have kept in touch and remind me often how much I helped them and made a difference in their life.

If you are a teacher, be proud of what you do and do it well.

No comments: