Thursday, September 27, 2007

Fun Science Lesson for Your Class

When I was teaching about molecules, I used Froot Loops. I wrote up the directions first so the students would have something to follow (integrating reading with science!). I labeled the different color Froot Loops as oxygen, hydrogen, carbon etc. We used pretzel sticks, peanut butter and mini marshmallows to connect them together. They dipped the end of the marshmallow in peanut butter and then stuck the Froot Loop to it. Then they stuck the pretzel stick in the marshmallow and Froot Loop. I told them we would eat them afterwards so they wouldn't start eating them while we made them. Of course we made water molecules and other obvious ones but after that they were allowed to make up their own. After everyone presented their new ones to the class, they all ate them. This was a lot of fun and the students were able to see a 3D model of molecules.

No comments: