Wednesday, February 24, 2021

Teach Someone Else

When I was a little girl, I remember my mother getting me to read aloud to her. She would say she wanted to hear the story but was too busy to read it. So, I helped her by reading my stories to her.

When I learned something new, she always was so interested in what I learned and asked me to teach her what I learned. I really believed, as a little girl, that I was teaching my mother something new. I was so excited.

Now as a teacher, I look back and see the many ways that my parents reinforced my new learning.

I thought about how I could do the same things in my classroom.

Math is an easy subject for teaching someone else. Once a student learns a new skill, have them take turns teaching a partner.

I think peer tutoring is a great way to reinforce skills. If I have someone who understands the new concept, I can let them help someone else who is struggling. Sometimes it is easier to understand their peers than their teacher.

Another way is to have a student get up and teach a new skill. I would have my students decide what they want to teach the class and then plan out their lesson. I would have them write out the steps and practice it first. I’ve had students teach how to use chopsticks, how to make chicken salad, how to make pudding, and even how to skateboard. The “teachers” were excited to be sharing their lessons and the learners were excited to learn something new from their peers.

Another good activity would be making a video on different ways to act. Many of my students with autism have difficulties with social interactions. They might have trouble having a conversation, meeting someone new, asking for help, acting appropriately when upset and many other social interactions. It would be helpful for others to make a video that the student can watch and learn how to act appropriately.

By teaching someone else, skills are reinforced and retained for the future.

What other things do you think students can teach someone else? Please share.

Photo by Gabrielle Henderson on Unsplash

No comments: