Monday, February 22, 2021

Adding Yet to Your Sentence

In A simple missing word from Seth Godin's Blog, Seth Godin shares,

“And along the way, “Yet” turns “can’t” into “haven’t.””

It is too easy to think we can’t do something. Many of my students quickly tell me why they can’t do something. They immediately have the mindset that they are not capable of doing something. I think it is the easy way out.

If we really want to do something, we need to add the word “yet” to the end of our sentences.

By putting the word yet at the end, it changes my mindset that anything is possible if I want to pursue it. I might learn how to do something and then decide that I don’t want to continue practicing it but I can learn how to do anything if I put my mind to it.

I don’t know how to quilt…yet.

I don’t’ know how to fix a screen…yet.

When I teach a new skill, I need to have my students put their thoughts in a sentence and add the word yet to the end.

I think this gives the learner hope. It says the learner is capable and can achieve the goal eventually.

I might learn how to do something and then decide that I don’t want to continue practicing it but I can learn how to do anything if I put my mind to it.

By putting the word yet at the end, it changes my mindset that anything is possible if I want to pursue it.

Photo by John Benitez on Unsplash

No comments: