Monday, December 14, 2020

Foreseeing the Future

In Predicting the future from Seth Godin's Blog, Seth Godin shares,

“In matters of public health and engineering, the ability to have a good idea about the repercussions of our work is urgent.”

As a teacher, I always wanted to think that I was making an impact on a student’s life.

I hope I was making a difference.

Just like being a parent, I can teach my students skills and how to apply them, but I can’t make the student use it in everyday life.

I like to get to know the students and imagine what they will be like when they finish school. Some will work in a business and some will be entrepreneurs.

I have one student who was diagnosed with autism who has his own beehive and honey-making company. He owns 40 beehives! I’m so proud of him!

One student with emotional disabilities owns his own landscaping company. 

I’ve had another student with learning disabilities who started out as a stocker for Publix and is now the Produce Manager at one of the stores.

Another young lady with learning disabilities went on to learn how to be a paralegal and works in a judge’s office.

One student with learning disabilities went on to become a truck driver and he drives around the country making good money. He loves to travel so this is perfect for him.

Of course, there are some that I had high hopes for that eventually made poor decisions are spending time in jail.

I do like to hear from former students though, to see what kind of lives they are living now.

But I need to remember that I can foresee the future. I can’t make these students have successful lives. They need to make their own decisions and choices that work for them. I just hope that I can teach them the skills they need to do this

Have you heard from former students that make you feel proud of how you helped them? Please share.

Photo by Drew Beamer on Unsplash







No comments: