Monday, December 28, 2020

After-Holiday Blues


Now that the holidays are over, life will get back to “normal.” It is time to clean up and pack up holiday decorations. All the adrenaline rush of seeing family and friends, whether in person or on a video chat is gone from our bodies. Many stores are giving sales so they don’t have to store all their Christmas decorations and supplies. Most vacation days are unstructured and there is empty time on our hands.

Many people will experience a letdown after all the excitement. It happens often and is a normal emotion to feel.

It is important to prepare students for this. I find that if I know it can happen and that is is okay to feel this way, it helps me get through the tough time.

I find that taking little naps or finding quiet things to do that make me happy help me get over the blues. I can establish small routines that I do every day and the routine helps me get back on track.Many of my students are glad to return to school for this reason. Getting back into a routine helps to bring normalcy into their lives.

Encouraging students to write in a journal might help them express their feelings. Maybe they prefer to draw and can have a sketch journal.

How do you get rid of the after-holiday blues? Please share.

Photo by Matthew Henry on Unsplash


No comments: