Monday, September 21, 2020

Hand dyeing Yarn

Recently I tried dyeing variegated yarn using the kettle method.  Here is the procedure that I followed. 

Supplies Needed: 
  • Plastic Tub 
  • Water 
  • Citric Acid 
  • Acid Dyes 
  • Mask 
  • Rubber gloves 
  • Plastic Ties 
  • Measuring spoons (1 T, 1/8 tsp) 
  • Stove 
  • Gentle Soap 
    1. Put plastic ties on each skein of yarn. 
    2. I soaked my yarn (BFLSuperwash Wool 85%/ 25% Nylon) in a tub of warm water with 1 Tablespoon of Citric Acid for 30 minutes. 
    3. I brought a pot of water to a boil and then turned it down to simmer. 
    4. Put on mask and gloves. 
    5. I squeezed out excess water from the yarn. 
    6. Add yarn to the pot and make sure it is covered by the water. 
    7. Using 1/8 tsp. of dye color 1 sprinkled the dye on top. 
    8. Let simmer for 5 min. or until water is clear. 
    9. Pull out the yarn and rotate 45 degrees on the holder. 
    10. Using 1/8 tsp. of dye color 1 sprinkled the dye on top. 
    11. Let simmer for 5 min. or until water is clear. 
    12. Pull out the yarn and rotate 45 degrees on the holder. 
    13. Repeat as many times there are different colors. 
    14. After the last color is completely absorbed, remove yarn into a plastic tub to cool. 
    15. Once cool, gently wash in soap and water. 
    16. Hang to dry. 
Things I Learned: 
  1. I should make mini skeins and try the colors first before I do a full skein of yarn. 
  2. Wet wool stinks. 
  3. The plastic ties really work well. 
  4. I need to get better gloves to handle the heat and the hot wool/water. 
  5. It was a lot of fun and I can’t wait to try it again. 
  6. I want to buy a different shade of blue, purple, and pink dye for the next time.
Original Photo by Pat Hensley

No comments: