Monday, January 20, 2020

Asking the Right Questions


In Nothing is one thing from Seth Godin's Blog, Seth Godin talks about getting one-word answers for questions and how this can be annoying and frustrating.

When my nephew was younger, his mom would put him on the phone with me and it was a tough conversation. Any question I asked, he answered with one or two words and never asked a question back. It is really hard to have a conversation like this because it takes both parties participating in order to have a meaningful conversation. This was very frustrating for me because I loved my nephew and I wanted to know more about what was going on in his life.

Then I realized I hadn’t been asking the right questions. I needed to stop asking questions that enabled only one-word answers. I needed to dig deeper. Maybe he saw these shallow questions as false interest in him.

So before the calls, I started to think about how I would ask him questions. Instead of asking how things were going and expecting the answer of “fine,” I asked him to tell me what was the best thing that happened to him this week. Then I would ask him to tell me what was the worst thing that happened to him this week. I would also ask him if money was no object, what would he wish right now. Sometimes this opened up to longer conversations and more questions for clarification. Once I started asking the right questions, I felt like we had a better connection.

This works with my students also. I need to avoid questions that allow for the one-word answer. Instead of asking, “Do you understand me?”, I need to ask, “What did I ask you to do?” Instead of just accepting an answer that can be memorized and repeated, I need to ask them why that is the answer. I might ask them how they got that answer. These kinds of answers require more thinking. It allows me to assess for understanding better.

I realize now that just getting the correct answers isn’t always the best thing. I need to make sure that I’m asking the right questions.

What kinds of questions work best for you and your students? Please share.

Photo by Jon Tyson on Unsplash

No comments: