Thursday, September 12, 2019

Optimist or Pessimist


In The downside of possibility from Seth Godin's Blog, Seth Godin states,

“Optimists are always a little disappointed.”

I think I'm part optimist and part pessimist. I tend to look at the bad side of things, so I won't be too disappointed. Sometimes my husband calls me a naysayer, but I don't mean to be this way. Other times,  people look at me and think I'm an optimist and I'm always looking at the good side of things.

Sometimes I think you need to have a balance between both sides. I don't think you should be overly optimistic or overly pessimistic. Sometimes you need to be a realist. I think the most important thing is to accept whatever happens when it happens and be prepared to deal with it when it does.

I think it's okay to be an optimist because you are expecting things to be better and you strive to work harder. Looking forward and expecting the best is a good thing. Of course, it is natural to be disappointed if things don't work out the way you expect. The important thing is seeing what needs to be done in order to be successful and not giving up.

Being an optimist helps you have the right mental attitude for facing obstacles. It helps to keep you moving forward. This mental attitude will keep you from giving up and help you continue trying. That is the key to being successful. It is important not to give up and when things don't go the way you want, look at what needs to be changed in order for you to succeed. This might mean you need to ask for help or change your procedures or even change the tools you are using. Taking the time to reassess the situation is a good thing to do.

How do you help your students be more optimistic rather than pessimistic? Please share. 

Photo by Kyle Glenn on Unsplash

No comments: