Wednesday, September 11, 2019

9/11/2001


On September 11, 2001, thousands of people were killed during four terrorist attacks on the United States. It is a day I will never forget. I will remember where I was and what I was doing at the time. When I talk to people about major events in history, they say this is the same way they felt when The Challenger space shuttle exploded or when John F. Kennedy was killed. I’m sure others remember other events that had affected them in this way.

It is a day that I will never forget because for many hours, I didn’t know if a few of my family members were safe. It is also not something we really ever talk about. It is not a topic that we want to discuss or relive.

To this day, I can’t watch any movies about this day. I have tried to watch a couple but usually can’t make it through the whole movie.

One day a couple of years ago, I had to take a state test for my teaching license and I was horrified when I realized that I had to take it on 9/11. I was deeply upset and anxious until a good friend reminded me that before 2001, September 11th was just another day on the calendar. This really helped me focus on my goal and not the date.

I feel a little ambivalent about this day.

Part of me wants to remember that all those people died and should not be forgotten. First responders, emergency personnel, and volunteers who risked their lives and many who died from this are remembered. I understand that all across the country, there are memorial services and remembrances to make sure they are not forgotten.

Part of me wants to put my head under a blanket and hurry this day along. I don’t want to remember the day I feel so anxious and alarmed. I don’t want to remember all the families finding out that they lost a loved one in the attacks. I don’t want to relive that day and my heart hurts for families who feel the same way I do.

To all the people out there who were affected by this day in history, you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Photo by Aidan Bartos on Unsplash

No comments: