Thursday, October 12, 2017

Visual Schedules

Sometimes visual schedules can help students see how their day is organized. Depending on the age of the student, visual schedules can be made in many different formats. This helps the student and I stay organized. As activities get accomplished, the student can even designate that the activity is complete.

For younger students, pictures of the activity can be listed so the student knows what to do first and then what to do next. If possible, even use a picture of that student doing the activity so the student can personalize the task even more.

As the student gets older, pictures and words can be used to help them connect the words with the activity.

Some older students may not need pictures but numbers can be added to the activities.  I would caution using time though because some students may want to follow this schedule to the exact minute. I like to use designations such as “first activity” or just list them in order and number them.

If I want to give choices. I try not to give more than three choices and depending on the student, I may even limit it to only two.

These visual schedules help many students stay on track and I notice that time is used more wisely. Students don’t feel overwhelmed by all that they must do in one day. As the student follows a routine, they even might feel the need for this schedule less and less but if they need it, it is there for them.

Visual schedules also lessen anxiety for the student and I saw a decrease in behavior problems. The student knew what was expected of them and could transition easier from one activity to the next.

The hardest thing with visual schedules was that it required a lot of organization on the part of the teacher. All activities need to be planned and materials needed to be available beforehand. I found it easy to plan the week before so that I was ready for the whole week. I didn’t have to worry about the copier breaking or unexpected situations keeping me from being prepared.

Do you use visual schedules? How does it help your students? Please share.

No comments: