Wednesday, April 26, 2017

The Shoe Tying Discussion

In After ~50 Years, I Learn to Tie My Shoes from CogDogBlog, Alan Levine aka CogDog talks about a TED Talk video that shows how to tie a shoe better. I have also heard about this video from other people so I had to watch it. It was amazing! For the past couple of days, I’ve been trying to tie my shows that way and so far, they have stayed tied and they do look nicer. I don’t know why after almost 55 years of tying shoes, I never thought of giving this a try. I have tried different ways for my hiking boots and found a way that helps to keep them tied but I really like this way better.

Here is the video:

This had me thinking about the ways that students learn. They learn one way and if it works for them, they keep doing things the same way. It is hard to find a better way if we don’t try new things.

I love knitting socks and there is always a big discussion about knitting heels. I have tried short row heels, gusset heels, fleegle heels, and finally the fish lips kiss heel. The last one was the easiest and best for me.  Now I don’t want to try anything new because I found the one I like. But how do I know that I won’t find one better?

I usually read the same genre of books and don’t branch out. I love to read romance novels and even some mystery novels by the same authors. For the past couple of years, I have really pushed myself to read nonfiction books and found out that there are some interesting ones out there. If I didn’t push myself to do this, I don’t think I would have read the great books that I have.

I love knitting, crocheting, and spinning yarn but I’ve been doing this for almost ten years now. Even though I love it, I feel like I need to explore other ways of being creative. I used to do digital scrapbooking but stopped for a few years when my favorite website closed down. Now I’m starting back with it again and I’m enjoying it. I am also exploring brush lettering and calligraphy which I find very challenging.

How do you tie your shoes? What have you done to challenge yourself? Please share.

-->

No comments: