Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Carly’s Voice – Book Review


The Amazon summary states:

“In this international bestseller, father and advocate for Autism awareness Arthur Fleischmann blends his daughter Carly’s own words with his story of getting to know his remarkable daughter—after years of believing that she was unable to understand or communicate with him.

At the age of two, Carly Fleischmann was diagnosed with severe autism and an oral motor condition that prevented her from speaking. Doctors predicted that she would never intellectually develop beyond the abilities of a small child. Carly remained largely unreachable through the years. Then, at the age of ten, she had a breakthrough.

While working with her devoted therapists, Carly reached over to their laptop and typed “HELP TEETH HURT,” much to everyone’s astonishment. Although Carly still struggles with all the symptoms of autism, she now has regular, witty, and profound conversations on the computer with her family and her many thousands of supporters online.

One of the first books to explore firsthand the challenges of living with autism, Carly’s Voice brings readers inside a once-secret world in the company of an inspiring young woman who has found her voice and her mission.”

I have to say that it is a fabulous book and that all teachers should read this book. I felt so bad for Carly’s family who was struggling with this disability because autism is really a family disability and not just one person’s disability. Yet, throughout the book I felt the love the family had for Carly and how they would never give up trying to help her.  I wish I had read this while I was in the classroom because I think I would have taught my students with autism a little differently. I learned a lot by reading this book and want to share with you some of the things that I learned.

1.     Be more patient and when I feel like I am at the end of your rope, I’m not, so keep trying.
2.     Students with autism want to communicate but may not know how.
3.     Keep trying different ways to help students find their voice.
4.     Help the parents because sometimes they are just trying to keep their heads above water.
5.     Don’t take parents reactions personally because they may be frustrated and searching for answers.
6.     There is no simple solution or one size fits all solution so keep looking.
7.     Everyone can learn from everyone else.
8.     Take time to listen in whatever way the other person can communicate. Don’t just listen to words but look at actions.
9.     I don’t think I will ever know everything about autism.

This book made me want to know more about Autism and communication avenues. I also wanted to know more about Carly because this book was written 5 years ago and I wondered what she is doing now and how she is doing. So, I searched for her online and this is what I found:

Her website: Carly’s Voice

Her Facebook page: Carly’s Voice

Her YouTube Channel: Carly Fleischmann

No comments: