Monday, October 19, 2015

The Saga of Santa Claus – Book Review

I recently read the book The Saga of Santa Claus by Mark Couturier. I was contacted by the author and invited to read the book and write an honest review. This is the review of this book (I am not being paid to give this review).

The book centers on the story of Santa Claus and how his story came about. I like the way it introduces the story from a different country and culture. It is a great story for children of all ages. Younger children could have this read to them every year at Christmas time. Older elementary students would enjoy reading this independently. Others will enjoy reading the story just because it is interesting and appealing.

I like how this book takes place in another country and culture but still features a familiar figure that children recognize. I think this is a great way to introduce cultural awareness to children of all ages.  By reading this book, it would be a great tool to incorporate with geography and culture of other countries mentioned in the story. By telling this story from a different angle and origin, I believe it will hold the interest of children of all ages.

The language the author uses would make this book great to use in the classroom. It can be used to improve vocabulary as well as reading skills. Reading skills such as comprehension, inference, predictions, and drawing conclusions would work well with this book. By using this book as a class novel, writing activities would be easily incorporated in with it.

I also like the moral of the story that is told to the reader. I don’t think that we have enough of these types of stories in the media for children. It is a heartwarming and meaningful story, which is probably why I enjoyed it so much.

I would definitely recommend this for use in an elementary school classroom, an elementary school library, as well as in a home where parents can read this aloud to their child or where a child wants to read this independently. It was an amazing book and I hope you take the time to read it too.

No comments: