Monday, June 29, 2015

Please Give Me Another Chance

In Second Chances from Actualization, Walter shares,

“People deserve lots of second chances. Where would you be today without all of the second chances you have been afforded in life? Second chances are the pathway for all students to be college, career, and citizenship ready. As educators, we should all be the champions of second chances for young people everywhere.”

This is a really hard concept for me. I want everyone to get it right the first time but yet, I want everyone else to give me another chance.

My problem is that I wonder where do I draw the line? How many second chances do I give? At what point do I say enough is enough? When I give second chances I feel used and taken for granted.

When I ask for something and someone agrees to do it, then they should do it. They should do it right the first time. Yet, if I’m in the same position, I want others to understand if I make mistakes. Why do I feel as if I am entitled to second chances, yet find it so hard for me to do the same for others? I need to remember that when I ask for another chance, I am making others feel the same way that I do.

I need to remember all the second chances that I’ve had up until now. No one is perfect. I remember making mistakes and a teacher telling me that it was okay and that is why pencils have erasers.

I want my students to feel that an error is not a terror. I don’t want my students to feel like it is the end of the world if they make a mistake. I want my students to feel safe with me and use me as a safety net. Without this net, they won’t be willing to take risks or even want to try new things. I need to remember the saying, “If at first you don’t succeed, try, try, again.”

I need to be more comfortable with giving second chances or even third chances. There is nothing wrong with giving another chance.


How do you feel about giving others another chance? Please share.

2 comments:

K. Messerly said...

I work at an alternative school. We do second chances over and over and over again. It can be disheartening, but it's necessary. I try not to let myself give up on the kids who can disappoint. They need our grace the most.

Carolyn said...

I am so grateful for second chances. It is important to follow through and there are consequences for all choices, but I am so grateful for second chances. If have given up on myself long ago without them!