Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Being Someone Else

In Who Should You Be in Your Writing Critique Group? From Sioux's Page, Sioux asks,

Who do you need to be as a writer?”

I couldn’t resist answering this question but it required a lot of thought. I started picking people and then, kept changing my mind. I’m just glad she didn’t put a limit to the number of people I could pick.

Julia Roberts – I like how versatile she is because she has played so many different roles. She is not pegged into a particular style. I like her character in The Pelican Brief, Pretty Woman, Hook and Nottinghill. The characters were all so very different!

Sandra Bullock – I like the characters she chooses to portray too. Her characters seem so resilient. When they face failure, they are strong enough to fight and win. She doesn’t let the bad things keep her down. I see her as a poster child for optimism.

Nora Roberts – I like her style of writing and she seems to write so easily. I like how different her books can be from each other. Yet, she has so many books that I’m not sure how she can write so many. I want to have all the wonderful ideas that she has and the skill to put them into words.

Peter Pan – I don’t want to grow up. I still love reading children’s books and would like to have the innocence and wonder of a child. I want to have fun and enjoy life and want it to come out in my writing. I want people to think, “I want to be with her because she is so much fun!”

This would be a great prompt for students. It would make them reflect on the books they have already read and why they liked or disliked them. It would tie in people/characters they have seen or read about with their writing. 

Who would you need to be? Please share.

1 comment:

Sioux Roslawski said...

Pat--Thanks for the link. I love all the people you picked (although I've never read anything by Nora Roberts) but my favorite is Peter Pan. I, too, still love children's books (and they're so much better today than we were kids).