Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Nudged to Write

In All You Need's a Nudge from Sioux's Page, Sioux asks,

 If you don't belong to a writing critique group, what nudges you? 

This question really struck home because I’m constantly looking for inspiration to help me write my blog posts. I want to write useful things but I want to connect it with other things to make it relevant to the reader.

I read a lot of blogs on a daily basis and as you can tell, Sioux’s Page is a regular favorite because she is always asking such great questions that motivate me to think (which is a good thing) and makes me want to respond. I feel this is a sign of a great writer because it makes me feel. When I read books I especially like the books that get me involved so I can see why she is a great writer.

I watch the news a lot and think about current events that motivate me to write. I wonder how I can tie a news story into an educational post. Sometimes I disagree with how a story is being reported or how people are responding to a certain situation and how students might get the wrong impression from this. As a teacher, I feel that I need to help them see another view.

I love to people watch and seeing how people are acting is a great motivation to write. It amazes me how some people act as if the rules don’t apply to them. Or sometimes I see an act of great kindness that just needs to be shared.

Another thing I love to do is read. I like to share reviews of books that I really enjoy. I like reading reviews of books before I read them so I know what to expect so I want to help others in the same way.

Since we travel a lot, I like to share the story of my travels with family and friends so I blog about them. I think my students like to read about them also so I try to add things I’ve learned from my trip (and I’m always learning something new every day!)

What motivates you to write? Please share!

No comments: