Monday, October 21, 2013

Google: Harnessing the Tool

Google(I recently attended the SC Ed Tech 2013 Conference. One of the great reasons I like this conference is that it is in my town so I don’t have to pay for a hotel! The other reason is that I connect with so many other educators. I always pick up something new from a session and if I don’t learn something new, I’m always looking at how the material is presented in order to hone my own presentation skills. For the next few days I plan on sharing the notes that I took from the sessions.)

Google:harnessing the tool by Cathy Jo Nelson

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1akiQLS5RQJqklS96Bb4BpGriH6ggGu-PAtTUldql4Aw/pub

Edmodo code: 1m50c3

Kathy Schrock - google tools to support blooms taxonomy

Easywhois to find out who made the site

How google search works by Matt Cutts

How search works-infographic

Check sites for currency, reliability, authority, purpose/point of view (crap)

Radcab - relevancy, appropriateness, detail, currency, authority, bias

Ted talk -beware of filter bubbles
Eli Pariser

My Takeaway:
The presenter shared great information on her google docs page and well worth checking out. We need to teach students how to find reliable valid sources on the internet. We need to show them how to evaluate the sites they find.

Do you teach students to evaluate the resources they find on the internet? How? Please share.

No comments: