Thursday, September 12, 2013

Others Matter to Me

hugsIn Where Mattering is on the Schedule! From Angela Maiers, Speaker, Educator, Writer , Angela Maiers shares about a school in Rhode Island where teachers and students can fill out a form so others can know their actions matter. She shared a form developed by Tim Chace from that Rhode Island School that he used and it was fabulous.

I thought about how great it would be to use this form for people at my university. In fact, I think it would be a great inspiration for people all over, and not just in my school. I will have to work on this or maybe I will contact this administrator and see if I can use it for my purpose.

Then she asked, “Do the people in your life know that they matter to you?”

I am going to work harder at this because I haven’t done a good job with this. Of course I tell my husband this every day because I mean it and he is right there in my life every day. I started thinking about family members who live very far from me and how I don’t let them know this often enough.

I also have friends that are dear to me but I’m not sure that I let them know this. We don’t get to see each other much because we all are busy with our own lives and I realize I need to stop from the craziness and make a conscious effort to do this. I rarely see them but they are in my thoughts often. This of course doesn’t convey to them how much they matter to me or how much their friendship means to me.

In fact, I believe this is going to be one of my goals for next year that I will work hard on. Of course I will start now but I want to make it a regular behavior that becomes a good habit. My monthly review of my goals is really helping me make certain actions into good habits.

I need to do a better job. I need to make sure that I do this before it is too late because it is always easy to put things off until tomorrow. I need to start thinking, “Why wait until tomorrow? Do it now.”

Have you let the people in your life know that they matter to you? If so, how? Please share.

Image: 'Hug'
http://www.flickr.com/photos/80747422@N00/272688925
Found on flickrcc.net

2 comments:

Congerjan said...

This makes me wonder if those in my life that matter know they matter to me. I try to show it in my actions but lately it's all been about me and my needs! Now you have me thinking I have to do a better job of showing them!

loonyhiker said...

@congerjan I think we all fall into a comfortable rut and tend to take others who mean a lot to us for granted, especially at the beginning of the school year.