Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Enjoying the Silence

silentIn The Sound of Silence: How you can pursue greatness in the still morning from Cool Cat Teacher Blog, Vicki Davis shares,

“The more you work with kids, the more you need this time alone…When is the last time you've listened to silence?”

I get up early and I love this quiet time because it is peaceful. It lets my thoughts settle down instead of always racing. I can feel my heart beat settle into a calm rhythm. My breathing is calm and relaxed. My mind is open to new ideas. I feel good about myself and the upcoming day.

As much as I love my time with people, I cherish my alone time early in the morning. I think that is why I get up so early. I have time to reflect on my day, organize my thoughts and the things I want to do. There are no distractions (other than the ones I allow in my thoughts). I try to make my list of things I want to accomplish during the day and then number them in priority. I also like to think about the day before and give myself a pat on the back for getting things done that needed to be done. I also think about what didn’t get done so I can add it to the list today. Sometimes I accomplish a lot on the list and other times I don’t but that is okay as long as the important things get done.

Sometimes I will get inspired with new ideas because the silence allows the possibilities to run wild. I’m not crowded with other noises and voices distracting me. The possibilities are endless in this silence and I can’t wait to write them down. Later, I may wonder what I was even thinking of but at this time, there is nothing that is impossible.

Silence can be a great comforter. It allows me to feel contentment. I realize how blessed I am for all the good things in my life. I am filled with gratitude for all the people who are my friends and family. I have time to think about all the things that I don’t have time for during my busy day. And I remind myself that…

Life is good.

How do you feel about silence? How do you use it in your life? Please share.

Image: 'Serenity'
http://www.flickr.com/photos/35660391@N08/4901961781
Found on flickrcc.net

No comments: