Wednesday, February 1, 2012

A Message to My New Teacher

studentIn What I want my teachers to know about me from Life is not a race to be first finished, Allanahk shares,

“At the end of last year I asked my Year Four students to record their thoughts on an open Google Presentation.
What were the five things that they wanted their new teacher in Year Five to know about them?”

Then she asked how we would answer this question and I thought I would give it a try.

1. I am a visual learner. Sure you can lecture and talk, but I need to see it visually to capture it in mind, process it, and retain it.
2. I pay attention better if I can keep moving. I like to knit while I listen so my mind doesn’t wander.
3. I need my learning to be relevant to my life. I need to know why I need to learn this and how it will apply to my life.
4. After about 30 minutes of sitting and listening, I need a break. I need to process what you have told me and I need to move my body around. If I don’t move, my brain seems to turn off. So, if I get up and move to the back of the room, please don’t be offended.
5. Sometimes I get hit by the shy bug. It is hard for me to ask questions or give comments in a group. If we could have a backchannel of some sort, it would really help me participate.

How would you answer?

Image: 'the professor is six minutes late'
http://www.flickr.com/photos/55779593@N00/127023370

1 comment:

Sioux Roslawski said...

Yes, that's true whether it's little kids or big adults. (I like to knit too, during meetings--not faculty ones, I don't dare).