Monday, November 3, 2008

The Drive

Recently I received an email about a new event that is coming up called The Drive which is hosted by The League. “For The Drive students create and implement a plan to address issues related to poverty, hunger and homelessness in their community by conducting a collection drive to provide needed goods to a chosen recipient organization in their community.” If you go to their website, you can find out more about the event and there are also great links to lesson plans for different grade levels. I looked at some of the lesson plans and was pretty impressed on how well they were written because they give objectives, time needed, materials, and a clear explanation. I really think these lessons would be successful in the classroom as well as helping the community at the same time.

I really like that “Students learn about the values of giving and service in the classroom, then go out and contribute to their own communities.” I did a lot of service learning projects in my classroom because I felt that I was incorporating academics with relevant real life experiences. Being involved in The League events are a way of doing this. I also had many students who were on government aid and receiving a lot of services so I felt this was one way to show them that they could be on the giving side also. In fact, this helped their self esteem and they felt like they had something to contribute to society.

I hope you will take the time to check out The Drive and see how you can get involved! Thanks for reading!

photo credit: Original image: 'PICT8842' http://www.flickr.com/photos/35114754@N00/2085417984by: Steve Harwood

No comments: