Wednesday, June 8, 2022

National Best Friends Day

Today is National Best Friends Day.

When I was in high school, I had a best friend and her name was Bunny. I could tell her anything and she was always supportive of me. I wasn’t afraid when I was with her (and I felt afraid of everything). I could be myself and she never laughed at me. When I went away for college, we kept in touch, and then she got married and had children. Life got in the way and we didn’t keep in touch as much and then we touched base about once a year. But, we never lost touch completely. A few years ago, we met up in person for the first time in 40 years and we picked up as if life hadn’t gotten in the way. I’m glad to have friends like that.

I was lucky enough to marry the most wonderful guy in the world and he became my best friend in my adult life. He knows me better than I know myself sometimes. Whenever I am feeling discouraged or doubtful, he is always there to bolster me up and give me encouragement. When I achieve something that I’ve struggled with, he is always there to help me celebrate! When I am with him, I feel as if there isn’t anything that I can’t do if I really want to do it. If I hit any obstacles, he is always there to help me find a way to conquer them. He is not only my best friend but he is truly my better half.

Who is your best friend? What traits do you think are important to be considered a best friend? Please share.   

Original photo by Pat Hensley

No comments: