Tuesday, October 19, 2021

Superpowers

“The NVIV (Next Vista Inspiring Video) series of posts are written by Rushton Hurley and designed to provide students and teachers with fascinating discussion prompts.”

In A Blind Cyclist’s Superpowers, Rushton features Brian Bushway, a blind cyclist with a superpower.

He gives the following prompts to accompany this video:

“What “superpower” that you can learn to do would you like to have? Speak another language? Make cool videos? Bring sick animals back to health?

If you haven’t already started to learn to do it, are you willing to start now?”


This would be a great video to show students because many students focus on their limitations rather than their strengths. This video shows them that they should look at things they can do rather than what they can’t do. By doing this, they may be able to find a way to overcome obstacles in their way that keep them from reaching their goals.

I’m not very good at making things or that’s what my family always told me when I was growing up. The other members of my family were able to knit, sew, draw, and even construct things out of wood. Something I am good at is math. I love anything with numbers and patterns. I finally figured out that I can make things if I approach them in a mathematical way. I can now knit socks, mittens, hats, scarves, and even sweaters because I see how math is involved in their creation. I even design my own patterns because I use charts and can see the math used to make the pattern. I am able to quilt using English paper piecing because I’m sewing shapes which makes so much sense to me. Math is my superpower!

Helping students find their superpower is very important for their future success in life.

Please check out the video and think of other prompts you might come up with. Please share.

No comments: