Wednesday, September 8, 2021

Being Like Everyone Else.

Recently a video, Pip, was recommended by my friend Rushton Hurley of Next Vista for Learning. He asks, “Is there something about you that you wish you could change to be more like everyone else?”

This would be a great lesson for kids of all ages. The question is appropriate for students of all ages and I’m sure their answers will vary according to their age.

It has taken me many years now to realize that I don’t need to be like everyone else and it is okay to be unique. I remember that I wanted to be as athletic as my friends (never happened). I wanted to be taller and skinnier (never happened). I wanted to be comfortable speaking to my peers as my friends seemed to be (still not there yet!). Even when I started to hike, I wanted to be able to hike as fast as my fellow hikers (nope, not there either).

I realized that I need to be happy with the skills that I have. I don’t need to be athletic if I really don’t enjoy competing in sports. I will never be taller than I am because I don’t have any control over that. If I want to be skinnier, I need to control my calorie intake. As for hiking, I like hiking slower and taking lots of photos of nature. I usually end up at the same destination as the others but it may take me longer and that is okay with me.

How would you answer the question? Please share.

“The NVIV (Next Vista Inspiring Video) series of posts are written by Rushton Hurley and designed to provide students and teachers with fascinating discussion prompts.”




No comments: